Teacher of ICT and English (Cambridge and Business), Corporate Trainer and Entrepreneur
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Over 1 year of teaching Cambridge ICT. I have taught at Vinschool Central Park, Vinschool Golden River, and online on behalf of Vinschool Green Bay in Hanoi
- 9 years of teaching ICT in the Secondary Sector in the UK
- 2 years of teaching ICT at International Schools in Poland
- 5 years of running my own company in Poland. I created the website, videos, invoices, language courses, and teaching, etc. I had contracts with IT Companies, Corporations, Language Schools, and private students, etc.
- Directed 5 International Arts Festivals. 2 coordinated with NY Arts Magazine
- 3.5 years employed by TU Dresden to teach Business English to Masters’ students at IHI Zittau in Germany
- 5 years in the ESL sector teaching Business and Cambridge English in Poland
- Summer jobs including 1 with Bede’s International Summer School as an Academies Teacher (English and ICT)
I am a highly qualified professional as detailed below. I have…
- PGCE (Post 16) in Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
- CELTA – Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Test of English for International Communications (TOEIC)
- International Baccalaureate certificate in Information Technology in a Global Society (ITGS)
I have a University degree (BA Hons) in ICT, Education Studies, and Community Art and a Graduateship of the City and Guilds Institute (GCGI) in Fine Art. I have received training in Project Management, Safeguarding, Functional Skills, Social & emotional aspects of learning, and Learning Management Systems, etc. I also had two Google Certificates: HTML5 and the Digital Garage
PGCE (Post 16)
Work experience - overview
Teacher of ICT & English
I am currently teaching Cambridge ICT at a member Cambridge International School in the Binh Thanh district of Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam. I have worked in all sectors (Universities, Corporations, International Schools, IT Companies, Online, Private, etc.) and have taught students of all ages. A brief overview:
- Between Apr 14 and Jun 19, I ran my own company. I organized and delivered language courses in Poland.
- Between Oct 14 and Jan 19, I was employed by the Technical University of Dresden to teach Business English to Masters students (one day per week) at IHI Zittau in Germany.
- Between Sep 00 and Jun 11, I taught ICT in the secondary sector in both English and Polish schools.
- I have worked at several summer camps including Teaching Eng & ICT with Bede’s International Summer School
I have been employed as a Cambridge ICT Teacher since August 2019. Between August 2019 and July 2020, I taught at “Vinschool Central Park”. Since August 2020, I have been working at “Vinschool Golden River”. Between August 2020 and December 2020 I taught ICT online on behalf of Vinschool Green Bay in Hanoi. I have created an online departmental area using a shared Google drive. I have put resources onto the “School Online” platform and been in regular contact with parents & students, etc.
Primary Dept Manager
I was employed to teach Business English to Masters Students at IHI Zittau by one of the best Universities in Germany, TU Dresden. IHI Zittau offers MA studies in international, small-sized seminar groups, and tailor-made tutoring. It is located in a tri-border area where Poland, Czech Republic, and Germany meet up.
Between Apr 14 and Jun 19, I ran my own company in Opole, Poland. I had contracts with:
- IT Companies such as Bright Coders Factory in Opole and in Wroclaw
- Corporations such as Ledxon in Masow, Opole & DIEHL in Namyslow
- Language Schools such as the Royal School and Poliglotus in Opole
- Private Schools such as Nasza Szkoła in Opole
- Company directors such as Ewa Stelmaszek the Director of Knoco, Jerzy Stańczyk the Commercial & Technical Director of Jupro Taim, and Dariusz Trzeciak the Director of Operations at PZU
Invoices & contracts
Teaching ICT & English
I was employed as an Academies Teacher to teach ICT and English. Bede’s offers a range of fully inclusive academic and holiday residential summer programs in 6 beautiful boarding school and university locations in Sussex.
I organized five international Raw Arts Festivals. I collaborated with the New York Arts Magazine to create two of them. Please watch the video and the Slideshare presentation for more information
Between Jan 2020 and December 2020, I owned a Honda CRF250 Rally. I used it to ride around Ho Chi Minh and explore Vietnam. I have ridden the Hai Van Pass in Top Gear Style (on a Scooter!), been up Marble Mountain and Monkey Mountain, ridden to Vung Tau and also to Bien Hoa, etc. I have now sold the CRF250 Rally and replaced it with a Honda Airblade
I own an Officetel in Richmond City. An Officetel is a combination of the words Office and Hotel. An officetel is designed to be a partially self-contained building, such that its occupants can live and work in the same building, minimizing commute time. A significant proportion of the officetel’s inhabitants include lawyers, accountants, tax accountants, professors, and small- to medium-sized businesses. I am interested in setting up a company in Ho Chi Minh rather like the one I had in Poland.
BA (Hons) degree
ICT, Art & Education
Between Sept 1993 and July 1996, I studied at Middlesex University. I studied ICT, Education Studies, and Community Art. I gained work placements with Hoffmann de Visme Foundation for Autism in Wood Green. I worked as an Art Teacher, Fundraiser, exhibition organizer, and promoter, etc. I co-organized several exhibitions of the student’s work, fund-raised over 2000 pounds, and sold over 1000 pounds of artworks. As a result of my efforts, in July 1995, I was awarded the “Ede and Ravenscroft Prize” for “Excellence in the local community”.
My first ever car was a Caterham 7 1.8 VVC with a special registration plate X7VVC. The Caterham is based on a design by Lotus founder Colin Chapman and hasn’t changed in 60-odd years. For what is fundamentally a two-seat tub with wheels, stripped and spartan, it remains a seminal driving experience for those interested in driving rather than simply traveling.
Wind in your hair
ICT and English
MS Office – Access, Excel, Powerpoint, Word, etc.
Google – Webmasters, Adwords, Analytics, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Meet, Advanced Search, Chrome extensions, Calendar, etc.
Programming – Lego WeDo, Lego Mindstorms, Lego Boost, MS Logo, Scratch, CSS, HTML, HTML5, etc.
Entrepreneurial – Contracts, Invoices, Marketing, Advertising, Promotion, Negotiations, etc.
Website design – WordPress configuration, embeds, plugins, Visual Composer, SEO, etc.
Teaching – planning, curriculum design, planning, invigilation, resource creation, lecturing, pastoral care, etc.
Exhibition organization – planning, fund-raising, booking venues, advertising, contacting the press, writing articles, etc.
Marketing – Youtube videos, Google AdWord campaigns, posters, flyers, brochures, etc.
Trying new cuisines
I have traveled extensively. I have been to the USA, Canada, Morocco, China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, England, Wales, Scotland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Czech Republic, Poland, Germany, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, and Hungary, etc. I enjoy all kinds of cuisine (Chinese, Mexican, Indian, Vietnamese, Italian, Polish, English, American, etc.). I love technology and am regularly updating this website, etc. I like swimming, cycling, riding my Honda CRF250 Rally Motorbike, creating and developing a business
I have the following documents…
- Vietnam Apostilles for my PGCE (post 16), Uni Degree, CELTA, and CRB
- An HSBC bank account in Ho Chi Minh
- The document proving ownership of a Condominium in the Bình Thạnh district of Ho Chi Minh
- A marriage document – to a Vietnamese Army Doctor
- I also have a Work permit and a Temporary Residence Card.
#Teacher #Native_Speaker #Ho_Chi_Minh #English #ICT #ESOL #Vietnam #Saigon #Cambridge #ICT #Vietnam #Lego_WeDo #Scratch #Business #Coach #Trainer #HTML
Piers Midwinter is a Cambridge ICT TEacher living in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City). Piers Midwinter is a Cambridge ICT TEacher living in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City). Piers Midwinter is a Cambridge ICT Teacher living in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City). Piers Midwinter is a Cambridge ICT TEacher living in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)