- March 9, 2020
- Posted by: Piers Midwinter
- Category: English, Ho Chi Minh City, ICT Teacher, Saigon, Vietnam
An Exhibition organizer/event manager looks after every aspect of exhibition planning, marketing, organisation and administration. The roles of an exhibition organizer/event manager vary, but the work encompasses identifying potential business, researching, writing, planning and running all aspects of exhibitions on behalf of a client or own organisation. They work on public events, trade and industry exhibitions, product launches, company events and private events such as weddings. As well as planning an event/exhibition in advance, they will usually be present during the event to deal with any issues as they arise.
- Researching suitable venues and ensuring all necessary equipment is available
- Planning exhibition venue layouts and activities such as workshops, seminars and demonstrations
- Selling stand/exhibition space to potential exhibitors
- Calculating overall costs
- Seeking and securing sponsorship and/or payments to cover overall costs
- Designing publicity materials (website, posters, private view invitation cards, brochures, etc.)
- Arranging insurance cover and ensuring legal, health and safety requirements are adhered to
- Coordinating caterers, stand designers and equipment hire
- Organising car parking facilities, security, first aid and catering
- Promoting the event by contacting Media
- Supervising the dismantling and removal of stands.
- Deciding where the exhibitors display work
Exhibition organizer/event manager – my experience
Between 2004 and 2008, I organised 5 International Arts Festivals. Two of these were co-organised with the New York Arts Magazine (Raw Arts Festival in Valencia in 2006 and the Raw Arts Festival in New York in 2007). I created the Festival, websites for it and managed artists entry, etc.
I am now interested in using my experience and skills to organise events at my School e.g. Hour of Code, Lego WeDo and Lego Mindstorms, etc.