- March 8, 2020
- Posted by: Piers Midwinter
- Category: English, Ho Chi Minh City, ICT Teacher, Saigon, Vietnam
NES (Native English Speaker)
A NES is a person whose first language is English (they learned English from birth or as a very young child), and for whom English is the primary means of communication. It refers to someone born in an English speaking country (USA, Canada, Australia, UK, South Africa, etc.). I am a Native English Speaker from England and have British received pronunciation.
TEFL stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language. However, in reality this phase is widely used to describe both the occupation of teaching English as a foreign language (usually abroad) and also the certification you’ll need in order to TEFL. The CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is the most widely recognised TEFL qualification in the world. I am a CELTA qualified teacher.
NES and NNES teachers
In terms of English proficiency, DOLISA (The Department of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs) has stated that from 2020, a work permit for an English Teacher will be approved if they are:
- NES teacher with a University degree and a teaching certificate
- Non-native teacher with degree in teaching English
- Non-native teacher with degree in English/language and a teaching certificate
- Non-native teacher with degree and a teaching certificate and an English certificate at C1 level or equivalent
Getting a Visa
Applicants must be:
- Over 18 years old
- In good health condition
- Free of any criminal record in their home country
- Have a high degree of specialized knowledge, qualifications or experience, etc.
TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication)
English proficiency is now a necessity in the global work environment. The TOEIC program has set a high standard for assessing English-language skills needed in the workplace for more than 40 years. These tests are the most widely used around the world. I am TOEIC Certified Teacher and Centre test assessor. More information on me can be found my my CV web-page: Curriculum Vitae